Like I mentioned in my opening post, I have had an idea of buying a Raspberry Pi for years, and finally I decided to do it. I googled around and finally I listed down the parts needed for security camera project, which was going to be my first project with raspi:
- Raspberry Pi 2 Model B, 45 eur.
- Raspberry Pi Night Vision Camera Module, 18 eur.
- 5V 2a Power Supply, 3 eur.
- Micro SD Memory Card 16 GB, 5 eur.
- WiFi USB Dongle, 3 eur.
- Raspberry Pi Case, 2 eur.
- Total: 78 eur.
Plus I ordered additional:
- USB Micro SD reader, 1 eur.
- HDMI Male to VGA Female converter, 3 eur. (Sorry, no link, but there are several available).
- I could ordered raspi from aliexpress also, but I had my concerns about reliability so I decided to order from cdon instead. There was not much difference in price anyway.
- My concerns were not so far fetched, as one of camera modules two led’s was broken. I contacted the seller and they promised to replace it for free, but delivery might take some time. I have now waited about one month and the part has not arrived yet.
- In the beginning I had some trouble with Windows recognizing the memory card. It seems that this was because of the cheap memory card USB reader. The solution was to push the card firmly into the reader, after that it worked without problems.
- I didn’t have anything bad to say about other parts and how they were delivered. All parts arrived within one to three weeks, and everything worked without problems.
- One concern of mine was the wifi dongle, but it worked nicely with raspi/linux. Only thing is that the range is not very good, but what do you expect to get with 3 euros? So far I have been happy with my wifi dongle, and if I need more range in future, I will buy new dongle and possibly an external antenna.
- One place where you might consider investing a bit more is memory card, with extra 5 euros you will get 32 GB card. But again, so far 16 GB has been more than plenty for my purposes.